The story of Delaviuda Confectionery Group dates back to 1927, when the couple Don Manuel López and Dª María Rojas decided to open a small confectionery shop in the town of Sonseca (Toledo). Don Manuel, who had been learning the profession from an early age, continuing with a long family tradition.
The small confectionery shop gradually earned the trust of its customers and became very well known throughout the area due to the quality of its products. In 1939 the couple is shaken by misfortune when Don Manuel López dies. Dª María Rojas, besides having to bring up their two children on her own, had to take charge of the family business. The brand name has its origin in this true history of overcoming adversity and sacrifice, with Dª María, whose efforts turned the small confectionery shop into a well-known business, in the central role. Such was its success that customers themselves were unknowingly the creators of the brand name as they kept going to the confectionery shop to purchase the widow’s (in Spanish, “de la viuda”) sweets.